The Payroll and Benefits Administrator is responsible for being the subject matter expert for all payroll and benefit related functions.
The Benefits and Payroll Administrator will play an active role in administration, auditing and handling items connected to payroll and benefits including but not limited to employee benefits, weekly payroll and timesheets, paycheck calculations, 401-k, COBRA, etc. The role will also regularly interact with external resources such as benefits carriers and benefits broker as well as other members of the HR team, Finance team, and company employees and managers. Therefore, a high level of customer service, professionalism, and team work is required of this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Processes weekly payroll for entire organization
· Verifies payroll correctness and distributes paychecks
· Processes garnishments, child support orders, tax levies, quarterly tax verifications, third party sick pay and worker compensation reports
· Coordinates, processes and verifies payroll data regarding employee life cycle including new hires, promotions, transfers, pay-rate changes and terminations
· Manages system updates, processes and functionality of ADP payroll system
· Assists in the facilitation of Open Enrollment annually including designing and leading employee meetings
· Administers benefits and employee insurance plans: medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, FSA, STD, LTD, PFL, COBRA, and 401(k) plans
· Calculates employee deductions and track PTO/Vacation/Float Time
· Reviews and reconciles monthly benefit premiums and prepare documentation for payment by Accounting
· Performs several reconciliations including but not limited to benefit invoices, 401k and payroll to assist Finance with reconciling variances and/or fluctuations to the general ledger
· Creates and posts journal entries for payroll and benefits
· Recommends and assists in implementing necessary changes to benefits & payroll procedure and policy
· Performs routine audits of all HR data, ensuring accuracy and integrity in all data targeted for both internal and external sources
· Files monthly payroll taxes and conduct monthly payroll audits
· Ensures all payroll related filings are processed such as annual W-2’s and 1099’s
· Administers the defined contribution benefit plan (401(k) Plan), annual filing of the Form 5500 and annual review of 401K benefit plan
· Records all and report employee incidents to workers compensation insurance company and member incidents to auditing. Responsible for the administration of the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
· Liaison and primary contact with benefit providers, to assure proper performance and administration of all payroll and benefit programs
· Prepares, audits relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports
· Supports all internal and external audits related to payroll
· Responds in a timely manner to employee and manager questions regarding payroll and benefits
· Prepares management reports as requested, as well as timely preparation of other reports necessary to conduct business.
· Ensures payroll and benefit plans compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local tax laws
· Assures payroll reporting requirements are followed by employees and proper company procedures are adhered to
· Keeps management well-informed of current activities and significant issues
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or other related field is preferred but not required.
· Strong working knowledge of ADP Workforce Now with at least two years’ experience with ADP.
· 3+ years' experience using ADP or other payroll/time and attendance tracking systems are required.
· 3+ years' experience accounting, payroll and benefits administration is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
· Strong understanding of all Human Resource laws, policies, and procedures.
· Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office, Word and Excel and PowerPoint.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills and be able to establish working relationships and interact effectively with a wide range of individuals and vendors.
· Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Maintain strict confidentiality and professionalism when dealing with sensitive HR and credit union issues.
· Ability to work closely with a variety of personalities and maintain calm under pressure.
· Ability to learn and master new software.
· Comprehensive knowledge of Federal/State legislation regarding payroll reporting and employment standards.
· Attention to Detail, Thoroughness, Organization, Analyzing Information and accurate data entry skills.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot system errors.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Discreet, able to handle confidential and proprietary information appropriately. High level of integrity.